Wednesday 13 May 2015

Gone Girl


Image from Amazon



James brought me this for Valentines Day, and as I was in the middle of a three-part series at the time, I thought I’d save it to start on our flight to Iceland last month. I’m a bit late in writing this as things have been so hectic, but better late than never!


This is the story of Amy and Nick Dunne. Nick gets a call one day from a neighbor and rushes home to find Amy gone. The book is in two parts; the first half is Amy’s diary entries over the past few years and entries from Nick as he deals with her disappearance. The second part still following Nick in the same present tense, but Amy’s entries are replaced with a whole new twist.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this; it’s had such good reviews and so many people were raving about it that I was worried it wouldn’t live up to the big expectations I’d come to have of it. However, within two chapters I was hooked – it really does deserve all those five star reviews.

I spent the first half of the book learning to hate Nick; his apparent laziness, selfishness and disregard for Amy… but all it took was one chapter to change it all around. It literally turns everything on its head and I spent the rest of the book hating, well, I can’t tell you in case you haven’t read it…

James and I watched the movie adaptation a couple of days after I finished reading it, and I didn’t actually enjoy the movie that much; I found it a little boring. I thought maybe it was because I’d just finished the book, but James hadn’t read it and he didn’t find it all that exciting either. So even if you’ve seen the movie and know what happens, the book is still worth reading. This should definitely be on your list of ones to read if you haven’t already!

No comments:

Post a Comment