Friday 6 March 2015

Alien Bust Amigurumi


Shhh... this is supposed to be a secret! I am only 90% sure that he won't see this, but I'm willing to take the risk... Here's what I've been working on for Mikey's birthday present this year!


Mikey is my sister's fiance; they're both completely obsessed with movies and all things sci-fi, fantasy and horror. It's his birthday next month, and we've all put money towards a new TV for him which he got in the sales last month, but I still wanted to give him a little something that he can unwrap on his birthday. After seeing my worm from The Labyrinth, my sister Amber suggested that I could try and make something similar for Mikey. She made a few suggestions based on his favourite movies/TV shows, including Terminator, The Walking Dead and Alien. After browsing the net for patterns, I couldn't find anything for any of the suggestions she'd made, so I knew that I was going to have to make something up myself.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to try making H R Giger's Alien. I broke it down into manageable pieces; I knew I could adapt a basic sausage shape for it's head, and then just make long tubes for it's arms... so that's where I started. I just used trial and error, trying different ideas until I got the shape I wanted. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the pattern I ended up with, and even if I had, I'm not sure I know how to translate into something readable and understandable to others!

I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out - the teeth are made from felt, and the arms, head and body are stuffed with craft wire to help hold it's shape. Granted, it's not got anywhere near as much detail as the real thing, but I added a few bits of detail here and there, like the ribbing down the sides of its head, and the sharp shoulder bones. Hopefully Mikey will like it as much as I do. 

What do you guys think? What should I try making next?

Don't forget that you can follow me on Instagram: jadebakes89.





No comments:

Post a Comment